Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Surgeon Appointment

I had my appointment with the surgeon on Friday. He was very nice and encouraging. He said I am a great candidate for a successful WLS, and that I am a low risk patient! I guess in his line of work, the standards for risk are different from other surgeons.

The great news was, I lost 15 lbs since my last weigh-in, which was at orientation on May 1!! I honestly could not believe it when I saw the scale. In a later post, I'll tell you what I've been doing to lose the weight.

The big thing about the appointment with the surgeon is that he tells you how much you have to lose before you can have surgery--we call this your pre-surgery goal weight, or, goal for short: "I'm x pounds away from goal!"

The exciting thing was that he told me my goal is 301, which means that on Friday I was eleven pounds away from my goal! Once you reach goal, you can schedule your surgery date, and it could be a matter of weeks before you have the surgery.

My aim is to get to goal as soon as possible (of course), and then schedule my surgery for late August or Early September. I just can't afford to have it this summer, what with my various trips and work schedule, but I figure if I have it right at the beginning of the school year, I will only have to miss a week or so of class, at the most. The surgeon said that I could probably go to class a few days after surgery, though I might not remember much!

No comments: